Monday, March 29, 2010

Visiting Families (January 10-day trip)

Eagle Eye recently (written in January) returned from a ten-day pilgrimage to New Jersey and Washington DC. New Jersey was a goal because it’s the home of the Apostolic Sisters of St. John, where we spent several days, and we went to DC to participate in the March for Life.

On the way of our pilgrimage we stopped and spent time with several families. We got to meet Father Nathan’s family, had dinner with Graceanne’s parents, dinner with my Uncle Pete and my dad, and two other families.

It was such a joy to experience so many different families. The time we spent at Fr. Nathan’s brother’s house was filled with his nieces and nephews. I was pulled into more than one nerf-gun-war, along with being asked to play “Star Wars” and watch kids play video games. It was incredibly endearing to be around such easy-going, warm and friendly kids.

To explain the visit to Graceanne’s parents’ house, I’d have to add an audio track. Graceanne lives an hour from New York City, and though her accent has mellowed out, her parents carry the tune of a true New York accent. Graceanne’s mother exuded warmth and welcome. Reminding us that “If you need anything, you let me know, because when you eat at my house, you’re like my children. Even you Faddah, because you’re young enough to be my son.” This last comment in itself was a joy, especially since five of us were convinced that Mrs. Allen was Graceanne’s sister when we arrived.

With my Uncle Pete’s house, it was a little strange to have all of the Eagle Eye Institute meet my Uncle and my dad and to see where I spend a majority of my vacations. My sisters, dad, and uncle spent the afternoon making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for us to take with us on the March for Life. It’s a blessing when you know you can count on your family for anything.

Visiting such beautiful families truly showcased the beauty of the married vocation. The most striking way I noticed this was through the children we met, who were all so loving and cheerful with each other and with the wayward visitors. The generosity of the couples who hosted us was also being lived out by their children. Each visit with a family was a glimpse into another facet of married life. One thing is certain, when charity is at the center of a family; they become an extension of Christ to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment