Monday, March 29, 2010

Light of the Angels: a morning at the Beach


Eagle Eye Institute headed toward Washington DC for the March for Life after spending three days in New Jersey with the Apostolic Sisters of St. John. We couldn’t very well leave New Jersey without first stopping by the Ocean for a morning of silence and prayer.

To describe the beauty of that morning would be futile, as God’s glory washed the sky in vibrant colors, painted the waves with froth and life and created a peaceful soundscape for this audio engineer. I take great pleasure in walking around a beautiful place with my camera in hand; catching the quiet moments no one looks for. It challenges me to search for the beauty.


So much of my life has been spent, simply walking around unaware of the beauty within the order of creation. So many early morning bike-rides to swim team practice on quiet summer mornings in my youth somehow seem now poignant and delightful, where at the time they were a trial to be endured each day. With a camera in hand, I somehow become more aware of my surroundings and able to leave my mark on those moments and how they spoke to me.


With everything I’ve been learning here at my year with the Eagle Eye Institute, to say that seems a little odd. I’ve learned the importance of touching reality as it is through my experience as well as diving into the different levels of Philosophy of Art. Many questions are bandied about in classes such as: What is it to create something in the digital age and call it art? What does it change to use technology to touch reality, i.e. phones, cameras and graphics?


While I am aware that I don’t have many answers, and don’t even fully have a grasp on the implications of the questions: I do know that there can be truth in a camera lens. I might not always catch the moment with the camera, but I’ve been given a lot of moments of joy that I wouldn’t have received if I hadn’t been so attentively looking for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment