Sunday, December 4, 2016

Possibility

Painted by Gina McKenna
I received a beautiful gift for my birthday once, a word. 

Possibility

And as I reflect on life and the coming year, this gift fills me, yet again, with hope. Hope in the fulfillment of my unique and unrepeatable calling in this world. Every day is an opportunity to live life fully alive, rife with possibility. 

Words always enchanted me, they have a singular capability of translating interior thoughts into a common experience. Something shared. It's how friendships are formed, kept and deepened. Words extend the self. Without them, the world is full of strangers, passing silently by.

I learned very early how words could enhance or dismantle interactions. As a kid with a tempestuous nature, I unfortunately fell into the latter more frequently. My empirical wit often ran away with me. Life experiences brought restraint, and a new challenge of finding the right words. Nuance. Brave new world.

Words are a unique and unrepeatable expression of self. They present an opportunity for the gift of self and as such they have become a means for me to live life fully alive. Yet they are fickle and hidden, and the search for the right words can be arduous and taxing. As my thirtieth birthday approaches, words beckon me forward. There is so much that I have had the privilege to experience in my life, so many truly astounding friendships that have touched me, and so much more yet to communicate. My life is possibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment