Monday, June 13, 2011

Desire


Some thoughts about my banner.
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." Let the hearer say, "Come."
Let the one who thirsts come forward,
and the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water."
Revelation 22:17
Well, first I should walk you through my thoughts whenever I read this verse. For any of the people reading this who has ever done Lectio, or a Bible Study with me, you can probably imagine the sound of my voice... out of control.

We've got the Spirit and the bride, as this verse begins. St. John shoots us back to the incarnation. Our Lady is always in John's heart. And then they say "Come." The movement required of this verse is striking. They're calling us forward. They're not going to make us move, just invite us to join them.

Here comes the good stuff, "Let the one who thirsts come forward." Ugh!!!! Love it! They're calling everyone onward, but only the ones who thirst come forward. The great thing is that it gets even better, "Let the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water." Not only do you need to be thirsty for it, but you have to desire it to receive the gift.

This verse has been growing on me, or should I say challenging me to grow? God has been softening my heart. It takes time and is filled with the burning pain of longing for more. He's showed me, slowly, over time and giving me the strength to desire the gift. The beautiful thing I've discovered is as I open myself to desiring God's plan, He takes it and makes it more beautiful and perfect than I could have on my own. The desire growing and changing each day, carrying me deeper into His love.

It takes a choice, will I move toward God or not? Will I have the audacity to desire the fullness of life? Can I stay on the fire of His love? Can I move forward?

Let the hearer say, "Come."

2 comments:

  1. I really miss doing Bible study with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mon-You have no idea how much I miss doing Bible study with you! In fact I'd love to hear what you think about this verse.

    ReplyDelete